Tuesday, October 21, 2014

DEEP CREEK LEAPER'S LURKING

DEEP CREEK LEAPER---Oct. 21st, 2014. Yep, the Leaper is a bear that stuffs himself/herself on backpackers' food they've hooked onto a wire strung between two trees---the hip way to store one's food in the wild. That is, with the exception of the mighty Leaper.  This-here bar climbs the tree with wire attached and leaps over to the food bag and rides it to the ground.  Alas, the poor  backpackers with no food must head back to their crib with their tails between their legs.
   We're EGGing up here in the Smokies in Leaper territory. Both of us have been sick---me with bronchial pneumonia. But we have turned the corner.  I figure I can hawk up mucus in the woods as easily as  at me casa.  Besides, the woods are where I belong. I spent my childhood way, way out in the country. Apart from the paved road out front, I could hike in any direction all day and never happen upon any civilization. Left the country for the city as a 9th grader; returned ten or twelve years later and our farm was history. In its place was a  strip mall and a McDonalds. And the beat goes on.  
   More later from Leaper country.







No comments:

Post a Comment