Monday, April 14, 2014

DAMN NEAR BLEW UP!

   April 14,2014, Clyde Texas, Valero gas station:  I set the  squeeze trigger on the high test gas filler & start filling her up. I'm cleaning my windshield, hear this gushing noise & gas is running all under my truck , around the island---maybe 1.5-2 gals. I step in the pond of petrol, click the trigger &, cut off the flood. Knowing I need to get the hell outta there, I hop in, but my gasoline-laden, rubber boot sole was so slick I can't keep it on the clutch so I can push it in & start the engine. I'm GD'n like a stevedore. Ann's eyes are like saucers (not knowing what's going on); I get her cranked, move beyond the blast zone but here comes a Minicooper & a dude in a painter van pulling into the zone, right amongst the high test. I warn them off; the cute Texas lass in the Cooper thanks me profusely--her eyes blinking like a debutante in lust & says "...yeah, this station has had a problem with this before."  Humm... She's now directing newcomers to stay the hell away, so I sprint inside & tell the clerk--- who turned out to have a genetically predetermined blank look on her face--- that there's gas all over the damn place & get the gasoline-absorption grit muy pronto!!!! Her blank look got seemingly blanker, then she shuffles, nonchalantly into the cooler. I'm thinking, I need to get the hell outta this place. Me smelling like gas & Ann still wondering what the hell's going on, we bust off through pot holes in the adjacent, vacant lot---the EGG bouncing like a rubber duck in a baby's bath. In the rear mirror I see the debutante directing traffic like a crossing guard & the "blank" humanoid clerk watching with her hands on her mighty hips.   Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment