Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Twisters & Hernando Had It Easier

Left CLARKO St. Pk. just north of Meridian this AM after waiting a bit at the ranger's office for twister clouds & twister alert to pass. I-59 okay except for bad stretch through Birmingham. Hundreds of trucks. What are they hauling?? I thought there was a recession. Maybe reefer....
Long haul today & we're whipped. An hour or so from our turn off for the campground, radio news said there had been a twister in Montgomery, while at the same time the clouds overhead looked particularly ominous. Figured I'd find protection around behind a concrete structure for the EGG & us,so I bailed off the Interstate and low and behold there was a Super Wal-Mart....we had something to hide behind AND we could do some shopping for tonight's dinner. Furthermore, I've always figured I'd like to be in Wal-Mart for the rapture. I noticed folks rubbernecking the weather through the plate glass windows & a half dozen or so truckers had pulled in the parking lot to scope out the funky clouds. We got a pre-baked hen and salad stuff and split. The weather had improved & all was well until we tried to find Desoto St. Pk. First, we drove through Ft. Payne, which was a pain, except for a mom & pop BBQ with the smell wafting in the air. I'm gonna eat there tomorrow if we can find the dang place. Next came Dogtown (for real crossroads spot with a sign and store). On and on we went following the Google magic bubble.. Turned left and headed up a mountain. First time I've had to use 4th gear. Switchback after switchback. On and on & on, maybe 20 miles, only to happen upon a sign saying Desoto St. Pk. 20 miles!!!! I wanted to murder somebody, but how does one murder Google....IT Vapor, for Christ's sake!!
Like I say, Hernando DeSoto had it easier. I need to ask the park clowns where they came up with Hernando's handle.
Anyhow, we call the DeSota ranger & he chuckles & asks us why we went the long way? Now I've got somebody to murder. My attitude improves.
Ranger clown says, "Turn around & go back to Dogville; turn right and drive maybe 15 miles; can't miss it."
It's getting dark & I'm hungry & ticked off. What options did we have being this far from civilization?
The upshot is we made it; the bathroom & shower are new and sparkling clean. Supper was great; the heater is purring; it's toasty & I'm tired of typing. I kept my cool with the ranger as the problem was actually Google. Like MapQuest, Google's directions are off a good bit of them.
Oh well..... All's well.......

No comments:

Post a Comment